Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Coffee Caddy

Wood Plans Woodworking Carpentry Download


We resurrected our Friday coffee group at work and the Galoot Coffee Caddy has been pressed back into service! I made this last year when our group of four became a group of five. Besides accommodating more than the disposable cardboard carriers, it is reusable and much cooler!


This was a fun project with a surprising amount of joinery: dado, stop dado, half-lap, double mortise and tenon, and dovetails. The wood was some mystery "mahogany" which I think is some kind of Philippine or Luan type. I selected only the more dense of the boards as some was too spongy or "popcorny".


Heres the final dry fit:



And a series of the caddy being disassembled down to its separate components:








After glue-up - first unfinished, and then with a coat of mineral oil:




A close-up of the dovetails. I just love the contrast between end grain and long grain after it has been oiled.



And final shot of the caddy alongside its mock-up. I dont usually do mock-ups, but since the sizing was critical, I wanted to make sure I got it right.



A fun project that makes me happy every Friday! Viva Caffeine!




TedsWoodworking Plans and Projects

No comments:

Post a Comment